Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Thanksgiving dinner in August..

Turkey. That's what's been on my mind since last week. And so after a quest yesterday to find a place that even HAS whole turkeys, I found one! Yay for taking the last whole turkey Wholefoods has! No other places I went to had any turkeys. Boo. But when I went to WF, they searched the back and found ONE whole turkey-8.5 pounds! Immediately that sucker went straight into my cart! Woo hoo for turkey!

So I happily raced home to put that big baby in my crockpot. I am blessed with two crockpots-and sure didn't fit in the one I typically use! So I pulled out my Momma crockpot and it just fit. Woot! Poured a bit of EVOO over it, got some celery sticks to place in and around it, sprinkled some onion powder, and set it on high! Mmmmm...yay for Aroma of Turkey!



But then I had a dilemna. I typically have sweet potato casserole with my turkey. But I can't have all the butter and brown sugar that I typically put in it. Oh noes! What to do?! My solution? Mashed sweet potato's. Peel and dice, boil and drain, mash them up, add a bit of applesauce (in place of butter) and a bit of honey (in place of sugar) and mix'em up real good. Granted, they sure aren't my Grandma's Thanksgiving sweet potato's, but they're good enough for me right now!

The second dilemna. Cranberry sauce. All canned cranberry sauces have corn syrup. *le sigh* So bye bye good 'ol easy days of canned cranberry sauce! What's a girl to do? She's to take matters into her own hands! 1 cup of cranberries. 1 cup of water. Boil until berries burst. Add honey. Stir. Voila! So yummy! That cranberry sauce was better than canned. (In My Humble Opinion) It was sweet. It was tart. It was AMAZING on my turkey!! I'm thinking of making up a good bit of that cranberry sauce when I can find huge bags of cranberries, and then I'll can it to have on hand for future usage. ^_^

And then the last bit. Bisquits. Now the recipe I tried, I had to alter a bit. (as usual) And this one called for onion powder to give it some onion flavoring. I'm not that big a fan of onion flavoring, but for being onion flavored-no sugar-no wheat-no dairy bisquits, I liked them. TBG thought they were rather good for no wheat or sugar. He likes onion, so he thought they were good. (I thought they were good, but no onion powder would have been so much better. Then I could've put honey on them!!) But here's the recipe I tried: (original ingredients will be like this)

Quick Dinner Rolls

 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
2 tablespoons honey  (or white sugar)
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons veggie oil
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca flour
(or 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour)
 
What To Do:
 
1.In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add potato flakes, honey, salt, egg, veggiee oil, onion powder, and 1 cup of the mixed flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour. Continue stirring until smooth, scraping batter from sides of bowl.


2.Cover and let dough rise in warm place until doubled, about 20 to 30 minutes.

3.Punch down dough. Spoon dough into 12 greased muffin cups, filling each half full. Let rise until batter reaches tops of cups, or about 20 minutes.

4.Bake in a preheated 400 degree for about 15 minutes or so.
 
Roughly 126 calories each for the original recipe...
 
 
 
They were rather good...for being onion bisquits. If only I could have cheese! I imagine that these bisquits with some real flour, cheese and garlic powder?....those would be amazng. *tummy growls*
 
 The great thing with having a turkey that huge is I get leftovers! So, to  my extreme joy, I found a loaf of rice bread yesterday with ingredients I can eat! So today's lunch will be a rice bread sandwich with turkey and cranberry sauce. Mmmm..yay for more of that cranberry sauce! It turned out so incredibly yummy. I look forward to Thanksgiving this year, because then I'll be able to make and eat lots more of that cranberry sauce with my turkey! Oy, it was good! 
 
And on a final note, here's a picture of our two plates last night:
 
His plate. He likes turkey legs.


My plate-I like sauce on my meat.
 
 
   Getting hungry yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment