Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A new challenge!

Life is an adventure. God is good.

This summer has been full of unexpected expenses. My car's AC compressor blew up. (literally. Blew up. Huge metal shard and all!) That Bearded Guy's truck got broken into at work, and his window got smashed. Our oven is on death's door, as it now is losing it's temperature sensor, and will heat up. And heat up. And heat up. And cookies that were placed in there at 350 for only 3 minutes are smoking as they get hastily taken out... Our fridge is making sounds that don't encourage the heart either, and seems to be going the way of the oven. ....and our garbage disposal felt lonely, and now won't work either.

My perspective on this? God is good. We have running AC in the house. We are healthy. We have money for our weekly groceries. TBG still has a job. I'm still working Pampered Chef (albiet, not very much, anybody need to order anything???) and I'm still sewing. We can afford the roof over our heads. We can afford a new fridge with some creative budgeting. Don't need the garbage disposal-I'll just change my tactics for kitchen sink use. And as for the oven?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I shall survive FINE without the oven! I will find a way! We have a working stove top! We have a toaster oven! We have a microwave! And, most importantly, WE HAVE CROCK POTS!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, this is my new challenge, and I will CONQUER IT!! *Bohahaha!*

How will I make cookies? Parchment paper lined on the bottom, high heat, watch to learn how long.

How will I make banana bread? Use my larger crock pot, fit the bread pan in it, bake on high for 3ish hours.

How will I make dinner? BAH! Same as always before! Toss it in and walk away!

How will I make breakfast? I will show you.

With some easy preparation, and my knowledge that I'll be getting up at 1:30 this morning to feed That Boy, breakfast was a cinch. This morning, when TBG got up for work, he had Apple-Berry Crunch for breakfast. Hot, delicious, easy. All he had to do was spoon it out of the crock pot. In a couple days, I plan we'll having banana bread. Wait for that bit of fun!

How did I make this? I prepared all my ingredients before bed, so when I woke up at 1:30, all I had to do was chop my apples, and put everything in! Easy!

Ingredients
  • Filling:
  • 2 apples, chopped
  • 1 package mixed berries, frozen
  • 1/4 C. firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 C. frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)
  • 2 Tbs. AP GF flour
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt

  • Topping:
  • 1 C. oats, uncooked
  • 1/2 C. firmly packed brown sugar
  • 5 Tbs. non-dairy butter, melted
  • 2 Tbs. AP GF flour
Path to Yum

Spray crock pot with cooking spray. For filling, mix all together. (I mixed all but the apples and berries, and added those in the wee hours of the morning) Once mixed, add to crock pot. Mix topping, sprinkle over berry mixture. Turn crock pot on to low, walk away for at least 2 hours. Return to eat some yum.

Super easy. Delicious!

Still debating on what I'll make for dinner. It'll either be BBQ chicken, slow cooked and then shredded for sandwiches, or it'll be salsa chicken. If I do salsa chicken, I'll make it with of extra meat, and then I'll slow cook some chicken enchilada's tomorrow night. Oh decisions, decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment