Tuesday, December 14, 2010

More cookies!

Self control. I lack it.

A week or so ago, my nutritionalist gave me permission to try having wheat, sugar, dairy, corn and oats again if I so desired to. But I was to ease into it, maybe a week of adding in ONLY sugar. See how my body handles it, and then go off it and try a week of just wheat, see how I handle that, etc. So then we can catalog what I react to and how I react to it, and if I think it's worth it to eat ____.

Well....I got a few days of only sugar...then I added dairy, as I was simply dying to have yogurt and kefir again. Anddd then I went to my friend's Christmas party. Any pretense at self control simply flew out the window! She had made this amazing chex/pretzel/M&M/melted marshmallow mix..it was soo good. I could feel the stomach ache coming on, but my tastebuds overruled my common sense, and I ate almost every cookie in sight....the next morning, I woke with not one, not two, but FOUR cold sores on my lips, a horrible stomach ache, a headache, and all my joints felt like my arthritis had come back. It's been amazing. *note, sarcasim in the last sentence* I've gone back off wheat-and my joints, stomach and head have gone back to normal. Today, at another Christmas cookie event, I just had to try two peanut butter blossoms. (I wanted to compare to the taste/texture of the cookies I just made) They were good. And sat like lead in my poor stomach. My elbows and fingers have been hurting since this morning, and my head has had a mild throb to it.

Thank you Lord that it so far seems I can have small amounts of cane-sweetened yogurt!

So now I know. I am officially and utterly staying as wheat/gluten-free as I possibly can. I'm not going to panic about mild cross-contamination. But I am not having baked goods, soups with wheat, cereals, etc ever again! At least, as long as my self-control holds out. It's amazing-I know how awful it'll make me feel, and my tastebuds take over! I really have to work on this problem of mine. If it affects only myself, I don't have much issue with it. But when it affects how I treat those around me? How I treat my hubby? How much housework I can get done? That's a problem. And I refuse to let my own sin (lack of self-control) rule me! Feel free to pray over my newest problem...

But the good news out of all this? Snickerdoodles. Snickerdoodles and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. They rock. I plan to make more tomorrow and bring them to families that need happy gastronomical delights. ^_^



Snickerdoodles

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp sugar
½ cup shortening
1 ½ cup coconut sugar (or white sugar)
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp xantham gum
465 grams of TG's all-purpose flour (or you can use-1 cup sweet sorghum flour,  cup superfine white rice flour, 1 cup millet flour and 1/2 cup tapioca flour/starch)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350
  2. Combine the cinnamon and 3 TBSP of the sugar and set aside for future rollage!
  3. Blend the shortening and butter, and then add the sugar. Once it's light and fluffy-ish, add the eggs. Scrap down the sides with each egg, making sure it's mixing fully. Add the egg yolk and vanilla.
  4. Now the cream of tartar, soda, salt and gum get added. Beat in the flour mix.
  5. Roll the dough in a ball that's a good size to your eye. (I recommend about an inch or so around) Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. After you roll the dough into balls, roll it in that yummy mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Place on cookie sheet.
  6. Bake! About 12 minutes or so. You want them to still be soft in the center and the tops just starting to crack a little. Don't overbake-but also don't underbake. (I know, that's so helpful) Let them cool before moving them.
  7. Enjoy!
Roughly 50 cookies- 100 calories and 14 carbs apiece

I think they're pretty good cookies. But I feel like they could be better. TBG thinks they're fine-which is good, but I still feel like there's SOMETHING missing or SOMETHING that could be just a tiny bit better. Let me know if you think of what it could be..





But now for the cookie that I think rocks. My new favorite. For this week at least... The white chocolate macadamia nut! Woohoo! This cookie is actually a couple alterations tossed together. It was originally a recipe from Gluten Free Girl for ooey gooey chocolate chocolate chip cookies. Which are good. I will admit that. But...I wanted a good cookie dough that I could add nuts and chips to. And I got it! So here's my recipe for the new cookies:

1 1/2 cups sweet rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup teff flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 stick salted butter, softened
1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown)
1 cup coconut sugar (or white)
3 eggs
1 TBSP vanilla extract
3 large handfuls macadamia nuts
1/2 bag white chocolate chips

  1. Line your sheets with parchment paper. (This is so standard with gluten free baking, I don't know why I say it still!)
  2. Mix the flours, soda, salt and powder. Measure it accurately-every little bit counts!
  3. Cream the butters and sugar(s). Add eggs and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour, and make sure it's mixed fully.
  4. Add in the nuts and chips! Now fridge it all for at least 15 minutes. Preheat the oven and walk away.
  5. Walk back.
  6. If you want them to be gooey, then make the cooke dough balls large-like the palm of your hand.
  7. Bake them for 12-15 minutes. (depends on the cookie size and your oven temp) The tops should be slightly soft still. Let them sit on the cookie sheet for a couple minutes before moving or consuming. Enjoy!

When I make them big-I only get 30 some cookies. And they have a fairly high cost for that- 207 calories and 20 carbs each. But if you make them smaller. (ie, average size, where the dough is about an inch wide or so) And you can half the cal/carb amounts. But who wants smaller cookies?...

I really don't want to think of how many cookies or carbs I've had today. I'm making cookies for work tomorrow-and I'm only making enough to bring to work and for the others. Depending on what time TBG gets off work, maybe I'll hit up the gym on the way home..maybe.    x_x

1 comment:

  1. these look absolutely scrumptious! even thou i use a different recipe i may try this one!

    ReplyDelete