Wednesday, December 15, 2010

At the foot of the Cross, we lay our burdens down

I've been staring at this screen, wanting to write, but knowing the words to say in opening. I try one, and it doesn't seem right.

Cancer. A word that makes us stop in our tracks. A word that's now in our lives.

Ever wonder why little things work they way they are, or why things aren't turning out the way you want? And then suddenly something happens, and you can see how the Lord was prepping you for this moment? That's us now.

Don't ever take a moment in life for granted. You don't know what God has planned for you or for the person in the car next to you, or what His plan is for the person who checked out your groceries the other day. Smile. Share love and encouragement-you don't know what they're going through.

I guess all I can say right now, is that our lives are changing. The Lord has been subtly molding our lives for this moment, and now the time is upon us, and now we learn how well we trust in Him. Our little sister has cancer. (ok, she's not that little. She just turned 19. But that's young enough for us old peoples..who are only 23 and 25...) We just got the news today. And she's had her first round of chemo tonight. It's called Acute T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma. What a mouthful!

The timing is totally the Lord's. We're now in winter, the slower season for TBG's work-he'll be able to take time off for family. I just finished my temp job at the bookstore, and now the only work I'll be doing is Pampered Chef-no work until Feb! I'd been recently thinking that we haven't really had much in the way of trials lately. (work doesn't count too much) Everytime I've gone to give blood recently at Red Cross, I've been literally .1 away from the needed iron count-and for the last two weeks I've been taking a supplement to raise that level so I can give blood. Our lil sis had prayed for humility and to be challenged. Our entire family needed something to really bring us together. And the Lord has shown us what our trial will be.

 Think of the timing! Now TBG can visit and help as needed. I'm free to give her rides to UCLA as needed for treatment, helping out with her home and family, etc. I pray about being trial-free, and now there's a trial! If she needs blood now, I'm eligible again to give. She has been challenged and humbled. Our family is drawing together. The Lord is being merciful in this timing!

 And here's the thoughts that bring us peace: God knew this was going to happen, He knows how this will end, and He'll be with us every step of the way. If He calls her home, that's just it, she'll be HOME. And she'll be beating us home-a thought I'm actually rather jealous of! And her attitude during the last day alone has been so encouraging. Despite being terrified of the unknowns, she's handling it so well. All I can say is that she has been such an encouragement to me. What can I say? The Lord has blessed me with an awesome sister.

 All this is more of a brain blerb than an actual blog post. If you're actually reading this to the end, all I ask is that you pray for her and the family. This will be a most interesting adventure in faith, trust in God, and family growth together.

No comments:

Post a Comment