Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cookies!


For some reason, I've been craving every single carb-y thing that's bad for me lately. Donuts, bagels, cake, cookies, bread, pasta... So far, I've succesfully made the cake, cookies and bread. I buy really yummy brown rice pasta. I have a recipe for donuts. And I have a recipe for bagels. (soo gonna try the donuts sometime soon!)

But when I was reminded that I had signed up to bring 3 dozen baked goods today, I knew I had to make cookies. I wasn't too sure which kind of cookie I wanted to make, but I knew I wanted cookies. So I looked around a bit, and then decided. I was going to make the spicy molasses cookies that Shauna makes (gluten free girl and the chef) and I was going to make the apple quinoa cookies with dates and walnuts that Natalie makes (gluten free mommy). I hit it right on. The cookies are very different-and soo good in their own unique way! My hubby loves the molasses cookies. I prefer the apple quinoa cookies. (Which is funny, because those are the closest I can get to an oatmeal cookie right now. Even though, a year ago, I HATED oatmeal cookies!)  My parents really liked the molasses, our friends from Bible study really liked the apple quinoa. Everyone really liked both-but they each had their preference. Fine by me!

This Thanksgiving, I'll be making an apple pie and molasses cookies. I think that sounds most excellent. ^_^ And we'll see what we cook up for Christmas... For tonight's Bible study, I'll be making more fresh cookies-both types-as well as bringing some tart green apples to lightly bake with maple syrup and mapled pecans. Tonight will be LOTS of food for only 6 adults. (granted, we'll have a 1 year old, and 2 preggo ladies, so that's gotta count for something, right?...)

I really do hope that these posts can encourage anyone who's new to gluten free. I'm still learning as I go, but hopefully this will give a bit of a sounding board to spring from! And maybe, someday, I can grow my Pampered Chef business into something that's more directed just for the celiac community and the lactose free community, and all the different groups with allergies. I know I'm tired of going to events like that where I can't eat anything! I can't be the only person out there like that.

But cookies. That's what we want for today. Just cookies.


Spicy Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup potato starch
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/3 cup arrowroot
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon guar gum
1 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened
1 cup coconut sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup molasses


  1. Combine the butter and sugar. Once that is incorporated, add the eggs, and then drizzle in the molasses. Once that's fully mixed, stop the mixer. (if using one)
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. I highly recommend sifting it all together, but the world won't implode if you don't.
  3. Slowly add the flour to the wet mix. (you can turn on the mixer now) Mix thouroughly.
  4. Now the hard part. Put that dough in the fridge. For at LEAST an hour. It's best if overnight.
  5. Once enough time has passed, preheat the oven to 350.
  6. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into balls about a tablespoon size. I use the palm of my hand to gently squish them down slightly, so they don't roll off my sheet. Place the balls about 2" apart.
  7. Bake for 15 minutes. They should be slightly browned on the edges, and have a bit of "give" in the center. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes before transfer. I slide the parchment paper off the cookie sheet and onto the cooler counter top to help cool them faster if in a hurry.  
  8. Allow to cool a bit more. Grab a mug of coffee (or milk for you people's who can) and dig in!

When you make them into small balls, you can get about 54 cookies, at 60 calories and 7 carbs apiece!

Want to check out the original recipe? http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2009/11/34-cup-sorghum-flour-12-cup-tapioca.html  Shauna is amazing! And speaking of amazing, she and her hubby Danny are pulling together tons of gluten-free recipes for Thanksgiving! TONS! If this year seems a bit darker and more depressing because it's a first time around for the holidays, you have GOT to check out their blog! I promise you, you will not be disappointed. It has been a very bright spot of warmth and encouragement, and has really blessed me with coping through the last couple months! Say yes. It is possible. And if you try out any of the recipes, or post your own recipe, link it to this post-http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2010/11/gluten-free-thanksgiving-2010.html . They have a raffle going on for items to help start the newbie gluten free chef. They announce winners next Monday, the 22nd. Can we say awesome power couple?!

And you have to check out their cookbook! It has been phenonomal. Remember that pumpkin soup recipe I made? It's from that cookbook. (only, the recipe in the cookbook doesn't have my dairy-free substitutions. Which means it probably tastes even BETTER than what I posted!) Pear apple tart. Aoili dip. Breakfast recipes. Dinner recipes. Recipes that I can read and understand and make. And it's a story too-how she got diagnosed, how they met, how they married, and eventually the newest blessing in their life-little Lu. I HIGHLY recommend asking for that book for Christmas! For gluten-free folk and those who are not-the food is superb and you'd never be able to tell the difference! Go add that book to your wishlist. Now. And then come back and finish reading this post. ^_^

And I'm making it super easy. You can't say you couldn't find it now-I've even got the link for you!


And now that you've done that, here's the other cookie recipe of goodness and delight. My new favorite, the apple quinoa+d+w. My new name for it. Because otherwise it's too long to write out! *laughs*


Apple Quinoa+D+W Cookies

1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 cups quinoa flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
8 oz. pitted dates, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup apple, chopped
2 cups coconut sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

  1. Beat butter and sugar until combined, then add the eggs and vanilla.
  2. Keep the dates, apple and walnuts separated for now.
  3. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Slowly add the dry to the wet, mixing constantly as you go. Add in the dates, apple and walnuts. Once it's just mixed, you're ready.
  4. Fridge for an hour or so.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 and pull out that dough! Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1-2 TBSP sized balls. I made mine small, but then I had more cookies to eat. ^_^ Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven. Once the edges of the cookie starts to turn brown just slightly, they are done and ready to be pulled out. Allow to cool before transfer and consumption.
When I made my batch, and I admit I made the cookies smaller, I got about 60 cookies from the batch. Those were 110 calories and 15 carbs each. And if you want to see Natalie's original recipe: http://glutenfreemommy.com/apple-quinoa-cookies-with-dates-and-walnuts/ I really like alot of Natalie's food posts. I'm just sad because she hasn't posted anything new in quite awhile. I'm really hoping everything is ok with her and the family..




These women are amazing. It is thanks to ladies like them who blog that I get recipes and recipe ideas and can enjoy life as a gluten free woman. Thank you Lord for blogs and people with creativity! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment