Friday, November 12, 2010

13 days until Thanksgiving!

So, with this being my first ever round of holidays with major food adventures, I'm preparing now! Trying out new recipes, confirming old recipes, bustling through the kitchen and dreaming about food when I sleep. I love the holidays!

One of the things I was concerned about was dinner rolls. What Thanksgiving or Christmas is complete without dinner rolls? Almost every dinner table has some type of roll, bisquit, bread or other tasty carb. And I didn't want to be sitting at the table watching every one else enjoying their butter and/or honey laden carbs, while I sit there without. That just wouldn't do. (it would really take the "Thanks" out of Thanksiving for me!)



Well. I am going to very Thankful this Thanksgiving. For the tastebuds the Lord has blessed me with. For the miracle of recipes without the "normal" ingredients. For the family that can congregate around the table and enjoy foods of gastronomical delight. For salvation and the peace of mind in knowing where my eternity is-and where our loved ones are that won't be with us these holidays. God is good.

And another thing to be thankful for-these dinner rolls! TBG and I tried them out a few days ago. We told ourselves we would limit ourselves to 2 each if they were good. ...after we each had more than 4, I had to put away the leftovers in the freezer so we wouldn't finish off the whole batch in one night. Sooo good! With just butter. With butter and honey. With just honey. By themselves. These are dinner rolls!

Happiness in my hand!


2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1 cup coconut  milk
3 ounces almond flour
3 ounces millet flour
2.25 ounces potato starch
2.25 ounces tapioca flour
2.25 ounces sweet rice flour
2 ounces arrowroot
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon guar gum
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
handful of sesame seeds
  1. Proof the yeast with the coconut milk and a pinch of sugar. What I did with the milk was to nuke in the microwave for about 2 minutes (do it on a lower power level) until the milk is body temperature. Then add the yeast and sugar, stirring gently. Let sit for 15 minutes until its doubled.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients. It's best to sift the flours together first, just so they're well blended and one coherent flour..
  3. Add 6 TBSP of the butter, the egg, and the yeast/milk mixture. Beat for about 3 minutes. The dough will be soft-do not add flour to compensate! Think soft cookie dough. That's what you want.
  4. Cover the dough and allow it to rise until double. If you need to, turn the oven to warm and put the bowl in there so it has a low, gentle heat to activate the yeast.
  5. Grease your cookie sheet pan or pie pan or muffin pan. Use whatever you prefer to make bisquit size/shape. Roll the dough into balls-think golf ball on steroids. Allow to rise again.
  6. Preheat oven to 375. Melt the remaining butter and lightly brush the roll tops with it. Sprinkle sesame seeds onto rolls. Bake for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, and then eat that yummy goodness!
I made mine in the larger of my mini-muffin tins. So they were smaller-which was a really good thing considering how many we ate in the end! I got 24 smaller rolls out of one batch. Huzzah!
            Roughly 138 calories and 14 carbs each.

Oh yeah babe!

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me to send you the link tothose sweet potato biscuits I saw...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was totally off thinking I could pick up a cup of coconut flour at Sprouts tonight in case I needed to make some gluten free rolls or biscuits tomorrow. It takes more than just substituting a different kind of flour, huh? : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, yes. If you just used coconut flour they would taste very strongly of coconut-and would be rather dry. (coconut absorbs moisture like nothing else) If you need last minute gluten free biscuits, grab a box of GF Bisquick from the store-they have a biscuit recipe on the back you can use!

    ReplyDelete