Monday, September 6, 2010

An unlikely yummy lunch

It's only in the last couple years that I've been eating fish. I'm from the land, thus I eat meat from the land. Fish does not come from the land, thus I haven't really been a big fan of it. But, I've been making progress, and now will happily eat salmon, tilapia, halibut and cod. Now, some fruits can mix with fish. Like lemon juice. Lemons mix well with fish. Berries? No, berries belong in pies and fruit salads, never on a fish. Right?

Wrong.

Since my diagnosis I've been following several blogs and checking out their recipes and finding interesting things to try. I've noticed this one recipe several times, and shuddered at the idea of mixing salmon and blackberries. My mistake. I randomly felt crazy yesterday around lunch time, and decided it would maybe be a fun recipe to try out, and if it was horrible, we'd just toss it. Oh. My. No, we ate it. All of it. And it was amazing. The recipe itself is from http://www.glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/. I love stalking that site. So many amazing recipes! I did alter it a bit to fit what I can eat and what I have on hand, so here's what I did:

 2 handfuls blackberries (mine were frozen)
1/4 cup water
lemon juice (about 3 TBSP)
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp arrow root
splash of chili powder
splash of balsamic vinegar

Put berries in water in small sauce pan and simmer until the berries burst. Take off of heat, and strain berries and juice. We want the juice, not all the pulpy seeds. Put that juice back in the pan, and add a tad more water. Heat it up again, and add everything to it, stirring until it thickens slightly. Pour immediately over pan-seared salmon. So. Good!

I seared the salmon in the pan with a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper. Served with rice and cooked carrots. The flavors harmonized so well, it's a keeper for our recipe book!
Without flash-but now you can see the rice!
92 calories and 24 carbs for the glaze-serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment