Friday, September 3, 2010

Ooeey Gooeey Peanut Butter Brownies

The last couple days my tastebuds have been haunted with the flavor cravings of peanut butter and chocolate. But alas, for I cannot have chocolate. And all the peanut butter cookies I've been looking at thus far all call for more sugar than I can reasonably substitute.

For the record, not having ANY cane juice sugar is really difficult. Do you realize how much stuff it's in?! I'm not sure what's more difficult, avoiding sugar, or avoiding corn. Corn syrup is running rampant! It's beyond frustrating trying to find foods that don't have some type of sugar or corn preservative in it. Canned fruit has sugar. Bacon has sugar. Cranberry sauce has corn syrup. Soy sauce has wheat. Some amount or type of milk is in almost every baked good or cracker or soup mix. Corn starch is in everything. It makes me want to run screaming for the hills!

But then I think, what if there's someone else out there like me with these food allergy problems? And what if they don't have the means to experiment like I do? I don't have many resources, but I have enough to skate by right now, and I have the different flours needed, and I more or less have the time, AND I have the motivation. Because I want my holiday season to taste good this year! (still working on the "healthy" part there)

All that to say, I was craving chocolate and peanut butter.

And so I started to search for recipes that might work for the flavor cravings, and that I'd also be able to reasonably alter as needed. Well, I found one. The recipe is TRULY ooey gooey peanut butter brownies. I am going to play with it some more in a few weeks, and see if I can make a version that's less moist for those that don't like their brownies so moist. But last night, when they were hot from the oven, and TBG and I first bit into our brownies (via fork), we both melted. We found something amazing. Truly amazing. They smelled amazing. The flavor was stunning. The gooeyness just melted in our mouths. (I wanted milk sooo bad after that!) They were perfect.

The cookies are fully cooked and ooey gooey-so don't be worried about them being underdone and too gooey from that. It's from the different wet ingredients that retain moisture. The toothpick will eventually come out clean, and it'll still be ooey gooey. Just so you're forewarned. ^_^

Ooey Gooey Peanut Butter Brownies

1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 tp baking powder
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
3 oz unsweetened carob (or chocolate)
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup peanut butter (I used chunky, you can use creamy)
1/4 cup agave nectar/ or honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
6 TBSP coconut milk

  1. Sift together all the flours. Sift again.
  2. Whisk in the remaining dry ingredients-powder, gum, salt
  3. Slowly melt over the stovetop the butter and carob, remove from heat once fully melted. Add in the eggs, vanilla and maple syrup. Stir until fully mixed, then slowly add into dry ingredients, mixing as you go. Once fully mixed, pour into pre-greased pan.
  4. Mix the remaining ingredients together-peanut butter, honey/agave, cinnamon and coconut milk. Once fully mixed, drop into brownie pan, and stir around to make a marbled effect. Pop into preheated oven of 350 for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Let cool a few minutes before cutting. Enjoy!

3 oz. Exactly.


Start melting that butter!


Add in more yumminess for that butter!

All the flours sifted together twice over.


                       Makes about 24 brownies, about 200 calories each and 17 carbs each.

 *Note* If you don't want them as ooey gooey, reduce the coconut milk down to 4 TBSP, add 3 pinches of arrowroot starch to the peanut butter mix, and reduce the maple syrup to 3/4 cup. It's still sooo good!

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how bad I want to try these. They sound amazing. I love ooey gooey brownies!

    ReplyDelete