Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cupcakes!

So I made cupcakes last night for Bible study and for family birthdays today...yummy! I liked the box mix, but I think I will aspire to make my cupcakes from scratch. The flours for the box mix were predominantly rice flour and tapioca flour, and I've discovered that just those two flours can give baked goods a bit more "chew" than normal baked goods. (next time, I may add some teff flour for good measure) But that's not what's important right now.

I made sugar free frosting. And it's delicious.

Granted, I used coconut sugar and powdered maple syrup, but that doesn't matter. What matters, is that my cupcakes are not naked cupcakes! And the frosting tastes soo good. If I can find a donut recipe, I have my frosting. I found a graham cracker recipe, so on those need-something-sweet moments I can now have frosting with them, when I make a cake, I have a frosting for it. I HAVE A FROSTING!!!!!


Yes, it's a Halloween paper. I realized I ran out of birthday wrappers, ok?
But what matters is that frosting. I have maple chunks for sprinkles on mine. ^_^
 Admit it, it looks good. That's because it IS good. How did I make this amazing, delectable frosting? Chaotic baking and subsitutions.

My poor kitchen was quite the mess
I'm glad I had organized the day prior so I had so much space!

But I'll totally say it paid off!
And you can make it home too!


Chocolate Frosting of Gastronomic Goodness
1/2 cup carob powder
2 heaping spoonfuls of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup melted, unsalted butter
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup powdered maple syrup


Melt the butter and blend powdered carob and cocoa. Smooth out as many lumps as possible. Remove from heat. Slowly add in vanilla and milk, stirring as you go. I'd recommend sifting the sugars together, and then slowly adding them into the carob mix. Grab a hand mixer and blend on high until smooth. This could take awhile. What I did was blend on high for about 4 minutes, then I turned it off and walked away for half an hour. Came back and blended again. Use for frosting, and any leftovers can go in a tupperware in the fridge for a later date. Enjoy!



I used up the last of the store bought frostings for the two leftmost cupcakes colors,
and then the chocolate cupcakes on the right are for me. So glad I found something that works!

And I did clean up the kitchen eventually...

Without flash. And yes, that there is Christmas paper. I also had Valentine's Day wrappers...

No comments:

Post a Comment