Monday, November 18, 2013

Pre-Thanksgiving dinner rolls

So Thanksgiving is coming up, and I don't know about ya'all, but finding enough oven space for everything is hard. Dinner rolls are a crucial (in my mind) aspect of the Thanksgiving meal. But the oven needs to be used for the the turkey, for the sweet potato casserole, for the stuffing, for the green bean casserole....

But I have a crock pot!

So I was wondering if I could somehow make dinner rolls in my crock pot, and by golly, it worked! Now, I've only done this once, and it worked beautifully for me. I'd love it if anyone else wants this recipe, that they try it once before Thanksgiving in their own crock pot! I don't want my head on a spike the day after Thanksgiving because a recipe didn't work in another crock pot on turkey day...

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cup GF all purpose flour (I used Pamela's today. Make sure it already has xanthen gum and salt in it. If your flour does NOT have xanthen gum and salt, add 1 tsp xanthen gum and 1/2 tsp salt)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBSP yeast
1 cup warm water
2 TBSP melted butter/margarine
1 egg

Directions:
Mix the flour, almond meal, sugar and yeast, then add the wet ingredients. The batter will be thick.
Spray your crock pot with non-stick spray, or grease it as preferred.
Divide the dough evenly and roll into balls (I made 12), distribute them evenly in the crock pot. I got 10 around in a ring, and then 2 in the middle with a quarter inch of space between each ball.
Set your crock pot to 'keep warm' for about 30 minutes.
Switch it to low for the next 45 minutes.
Switch it to high for the last 45 minutes.
Pop those babies out and enjoy!

My apologies over the very hastily written directions and horrid format. I'm receiving an influx of choir dresses that need to be hemmed soon and I know I should work on one tonight while I still have a teensy bit of motivation.

...tonight's motivation being dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's. >_>

No comments:

Post a Comment