Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Honey Nut Bread

Oh my has it been forever!

Thankfully this week will end job number five, and I'll have a bit more free time! Of course, that free time is going straight to job number four, but still, it's something. *chuckles* I feel bad when friends complain that they can't find a job anywhere, and here I am, with five different jobs in five different places!

It has been interesting though, working at the bookstore again. First, I didn't realize how much I've missed hanging out and watching and listening to the interactions of my friends/co-workers. That was enjoyable. And I also didn't realize how many other gluten-free people I'd meet! A couple co-workers, several customers that came through my line, and even a person or two who came in specifically to talk to me because they'd heard of me via word-of-mouth. ...it's almost creepy. But it's also thrilling-to be able to share all that I've discovered and learned over the last couple months, to help relieve some of the what-can-I-eat stress and to give some hope...it's priceless. I'm thrilled the Lord put me in such a position to minister in that way. It's food related, and it's people oriented. I love it!

For tonight I'll just post a quick recipe for bread. If I get chance later this week I'll post tonight's dinner: Tomato garlic pesto chicken with noodles and foccacia bread and veggies...Mmmm...

But on to the bread!



Honey Pecan Bread! Of insane goodness! Perfect quick bread, pefect consistancy, taste, texture, oh was it heavenly! TBG and I practically inhaled it. It was a lovely side to our scrambled egg breakfast-and equally lovely as a snack. And you can totally omit the nuts if you want. It originally called for walnuts, but I didn't have any on hand, so I used the pecans instead. Soo good!

1 cup honey
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 unbeaten egg
2 1/2 cup TG's all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup+ pecans or walnuts (or both!)

  1. Preheat oven to 325
  2. Combine honey, milk, sugar and butter in a saucepan. Slowly heat it until the sugar is dissolved and the butter melted-not too hot, just enough for those two things to happen. Take it off the heat and cool it down.
  3. Add egg and beat smooth. (this is why step two with the cool is important)
  4. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the milk and egg mixture. Blend. Add nuts!
  5. Grease your loaf pan(s) and pour batter into it/them. (I used three smaller pans instead of one large pan)
  6. Bake for 75-90 minutes. Or bake 30-50 minutes if using smaller pans. When an inserted toothpick comes out clean, it's time to take it out!
  7. Cool for 15 minutes and remove from pan. It'll be a lovely rich brown color when fully baked.
  8. Enjoy as it is, or slather some butter on it. TBG loves to add crystalized honey to his.

This has become one of our favorite breads ever. I found the recipe in a cookbook from my Grandma from years ago. It's no longer in print, and can't be found anywhere that I've looked. It's basically a cookbook that all the recipes have honey as a major componant. I love it! It covers breads, sauces, dinners, desserts, everything. And they taste amazing. It's just a bit more challenging when converting some of the flours because the honey moisture content will react differently to different GF flours. (for example, coconut flour wicks up moisture ALOT, and I would need to compensate that in my ingredients) But all in all, it's a great cookbook to have. There's a couple recipes that are absolute keepers-and this is one of those recipes!

Well, I'm off! Time to be HOME for a bit. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment