Friday, January 7, 2011

Slow down. Breathe.

Breakfast has a tendency to be tasty around here...

Friends are such a gift! We have some friends visiting from Washington this weekend. Such a lovely break for us-and a break for them. It's been so wonderful to just sit back and chill with like-minded friends.

I love being a hostess. It's so much fun! And they're wonderful guests to have over. It's hard to believe it's been a year since we last saw them. They've come down to visit everyone in the area twice now-each time during January-so we've become spoiled. (hear that? we're going to be expecting you two to come down next year, same time too!) I love having an excuse to clean the house major, to make yummy foods, to play taxi driver, it's just so much fun! And it's just a great time to relax and bask in each other's company. ^_^

Before they came down, I asked what breakfast foods they'd like. One told me Cheerio's with banana's. Ok, not too bad, whatever is left of the bag will go to my parents when they leave. The other said blueberry muffins. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! I could just opt out, go to the store, get some gluten-full muffin for him to eat while here and I just won't eat any. But...it's me. So while she's eating her Cheerio's, the rest of us will be chowing down on yummy blueberry muffins full of goodness and joy!


And we have enough muffins for us 3!
 These are soo good! I'm thrilled that they think these are moist and flavorful. That means I'm not completely biased with my tastes-they really ARE that good! TBG got approved for the rare yogurt in baking, so this recipe is safe for us, despite it having dairy in it. You can also use coconut milk with a bit over 1 TBSP of lemon juice in it.

Blueberry Muffins-

10 TBSP unsalted, soft butter
1 cup coconut sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp lemon zest (or orange zest)
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used plain Greek yogurt)
1 cup or more blueberries
2 TBSP+ raw sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl-including zest!
  3. Barely cream the butter and sugar. You want it just mixed enough to be mixed. But if you leave the mixer running while adding things, these babies won't rise that much. Add the eggs one at a time, and just enough to be incorporated.
  4. Add about 1/3 of the dry mix, and then about a 1/3 of the yogurt. Mix. Add another 1/3 of each, mixing fully, and then the last of each. Now add as many blueberries as you want! I used almost 2 cups of blueberries in my muffins.
  5. Oil the mufifn pans, and lightly dust the bottoms of the pans with white rice flour. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full, and then sprinkle some of the raw sugar on the tops.
  6. Bake for about 25-30 minutes. Makes 24 muffins, 145 calories and 22 carbs apiece

2 comments:

  1. I just realized you are posting all these great recipes. I need to spend more time on facebook (did I just actually say that!) so I can find these treasures. Thanks for posting. You are an amazing baker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment on my knitted baby blanket post and for your questions! I'd love to help you, but have no way to contact you directly. Please email me from your own email address, or comment again leaving your email address so I can respond to your questions and help you get going! Quick answer though is yes, your needles and yarn can be used to make something useful that would be excellent practice for you!

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete