Monday, October 18, 2010

Who knows the rain dance?...

...can they teach it to me please?

Finally. A chance to sit down and write! I have quinoa millet bread in the oven to rise, dinner is already planned and ready to go, and now, finally, a wee bit of time to blog! Huzzah!

But before I get to food. It needs to be said. TODAY'S WEATHER IS AMAZING!!! It is overcast, it is cloudy-I had SPRINKLES on my windshield this morning! I love autumn! I wish we had a real autumn more like this more often! (woah, I hope that last sentence made some sense...) Anyways, its rare to have actual weather here in southern california, and today is a gorgeous day. No bright sunlight, no obnoxious heat, no sweat.. ^_^ Someday we'll move to Seattle or somewhere with seasons...

One of the things that had bothered me with my new diet is that I can't have granola bars anymore. Which, even now, is true. I cannot have granola bars. Granola has oats. I cannot have oats. But I CAN have a yummy little energy bar that's a meal replacement type bar. These are healthy, these are tasty, these are actually rather satisfying! I created them completely and utterly on my own, and I have to say, I think they're pretty darn good if I say so myself. (of course, my hubby also thinks they're pretty darn good, otherwise I'd hesitate to post something about them!) For lack of a better name, they are currently called millet/flax energy bars. I will happily take suggestions on more clever names! Please, throw name ideas my way!

I actually had one today for my little lunch. When out and about on the road, they come in handy. Granted, this recipe I'm posting is not yet perfected. I need to make a batch again and tweak a few things so they'll stick together better. They can be rather crumbly if room temperature. We keep our bars in the freezer, and they are stupendous when freezer cold! I have crumbled a few bars and toasted them to make some granola to go over yogurt. That was good. Mmmm, yes, that was good. It's a versatile recipe. Play with it, make it into something of your own. Enjoy it.

2 cups crunchy flax (found in the gluten-free section as a cereal)
1 1/2 cups millet (not the flour!)
1/3 cups diced almonds
1 cup hemp seed
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 TBSP flax seed
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 cup almond butter
1 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup applesauce

I plan to add next time:
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 egg
2 TBSP flax meal

Mix the dry ingredients together first. Blend the wet ingredients together, then add to the dry. Mix gently. Pour into a pre-greased baking sheet, and smooth the top so it's flat. Pop into a pre-heated oven set at 350. Bake for roughly 20 minutes. The edges should look golden brown, and the center will look just done. Allow it to cool for a bit, and once its not baking hot, pop it into the fridge until it's completely cool. THEN cut into it and enjoy!

Makes 40+ servings. 170 calories and 17 carbs a serving.

The larger pieces are crunchy flax. The smaller, finer meal
is the millet. Just in case you were wondering.

Yay for almonds!
Done!


This one I added some carob frosting to. Mmmm..

And this is how it without the frosting. So insanely good!
Last night as TBG and I were laying in bed and talking, the topic somehow turned to food-strangely enough-and sweet potato's were mentioned. And after discussing sweet potato's and how awesome they are, we fell asleep. I dreamt of sweet potato's. I woke up this morning, craving sweet potato's. So what would any normal, sane, hungry woman do for her family's breakfast at 5am? MAKE SWEET POTATO'S, of COURSE! *maniacal laugh*

My one dilemna was that I had no idea what I could do with sweet potato's for breakfast. I did a bit of googling, did a bit of thinking, and I finally decided. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Yep, at 5am, and with experimenting, we'd start simple. Somehow, it just seemed wise. (and I think it IS wise at that hour!) So I just used one sweet potato, 4 eggs, a glug of coconut milk, 1 tsp chili powder, 2 bacon, some diced onion and a few pinches of salt. It was lovely.

Here's what I did: cleaned the sweet potato really well, and then wrapped in foil. Tossed that baby into the toaster oven for a couple minutes to start softening it up. Let it cool a moment or two. Peeled it. Cubed it into small cubes. Cooked the bacon while the sweet potato was heating. Mixed up my eggs with the milk, chili and salt. Ripped up the bacon into small little pieces. Tossed the cubed potato and some diced onion into a buttered pan. Sauteed for a bit, until the potato was tender and the onions were carmalized. At that point I added the bacon and then poured the eggs over. Cooked and stirred until the egg was done, then served. Yummy! TBG and I were rather pleased with this "winner" of a recipe. Yay for successful experimentation at early hours of the morning! ^_^

Before I added the onion, I added a tiny amount of water
and put the lid on the pan for about 3 minutes. Smelled soo good!

Just added the egg. The smell of it cooking was divine!

A horribly lit image of what we enjoyed this morning. Mmm..
Thank you Lord for taste buds and such a lovely
variety of foods for our dining pleasure!

And one add on for today. Super simple apple dessert recipe. Here's what you need:

Green apple (tart!)
Maple syrup
Cinnamon
Maple pecans

Slice the apple thinly. Lightly toss with cinnamon until lightly coated. Place in small oven/microwave safe dish. Drizzle maple syrup over. If in a hurry, cook in microwave on high for about a minute, or until apple is tender. Or bake in oven at 350 for a couple minutes until apple is tender. (you can make this with as many apples as you want to make as much as you want) Chop pecans into small pieces. Add to the top and bake for an additional minute or two. Serve hot. If you can eat dairy, enjoy some with ice cream.

TBG and I love this. It's so super simple, and tastes great! It's a fairly healthy recipe too-it just depends on if you decide to drizzle or drown your apples in the maple syrup. ^_^

This dessert was inspired by apple pie during a fierce Skip-Bo match one night. ...my brain cells are always thinking about food. I admit it.



Good simple dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment